Parkway introduces Dr. Thomas Burlson as our new Pastor!
- Born in Banner Elk, NC but grew up in New Jersey & Charlotte, NC.
- When he was 9 yrs old the movie “Star Wars” motivated him to pursue movie making and entered UNC-Chapel Hill with the major of Radio, Television & Motion Pictures. His major was later changed to Elementary Education which led Thom eventually to a Masters in Education at Princeton Theological Seminary.
- Became the Director of Christian Education at 1st Presbyterian Church, Franklin, NC . He met his wife Jo there and they have been married 22 years.
- Wanted to expand his ability to do ministry and went back to Princeton for his Masters of Divinity.
- His first call as pastor was to Sparta Presbyterian Church in Sparta, NC where he served from 2000-2008 as they raised their kids.
- Through a special small church program from Union Presbyterian seminary, he was able to earn his Doctorate of Ministry .
- Took a call from Union Presbyterian Church in Union, Ky. and became the unintentional interim for this conflicted congregation which lasted for a year and a half. The family returned to Sparta and he began a series of five interims that has lasted for seven years.
- With their son a student at Appalachian State and their daughter a high school student at the UNC-School of the Arts in Winston-Salem, Thom and Jo are excited to begin the next chapter of their lives being a part of the community of Parkway.
His first service will be June 18th. 10:00 AM.
Please join us to welcome Dr. Thom